Perfect piano for your home. Well known as well as well made American maker. 44" tall in wonderful condition
Includes bench and delivery to most areas within 75 miles of 06320
Hugo Sohmer - founder of Sohmer & Co. - relocated his manufacturing premises from 149 East 14th Street in 1886 after building a new land-mark building on the Astoria coast of East River. He had founded the company few years earlier together with his partner Joseph Kuder from Vienna, who was also a former Steinway and Sons employee.
The new building of Sohmer & Co was designed by Berger & Baylies architecture firm. Entering in piano building business in NY in the end of 19th century was not a hard thing to do as there were many skilled emigrants coming from Europe (mostly Germany) and the demand for the instrument was growing fast. The building was expanded by Baylies & Co architecture firm in 1906-7. After 1924 year's collapse of piano industry Sohmer's production rates fell.
In the time of Great Depression parts of the building were leased out to other manufacturers. However the company survived the Great Depression and maintained production in its Astoria factory till 1982 when the grand son of Hugo Sohmer sold the company to Pratt-Read company - producers of piano pieces and furniture. The plant was then relocated to Ivoryton, Connecticut, and the building sold to Adirondack Chair Company. Between 2007 and 2013, the building was converted for residential use with new penthouse additions above the sixth floor.
Piano building tradition in New York
There were almost no pianos in the US until 1771 when Thomas Jefferson required a forte piano ordered to him from Europe. That triggered larger trend among wealthy Americans to purchase the instrument. In less than 10 years there were already few local piano manufacturers in Philadelphia and New York. However pianos remained rare instruments and as estimated in 1790s there were only 26 pianos in Boston all of which were made in London. In the first third of the 18th century Boston was leading American piano manufacturing center, but it was soon outraced by Philadelphia, nearly followed by New York. By the 1840s New York started to gain its national importance as center of culture and commerce. But only after the wave of German immigrants who arrived in 1850s the city became leading piano building center in America. The most notable German immigrant probably was Heinrich E. Steinweg (later he changed his name to Steinway and his name became the synonym to the instrument).Among them also Hugo Sohmer arrived in the US in 1863. In these years piano building took